NCBA CLUSA Kenya
The National Cooperative Business Association Cooperative League of United States of America International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. NCBA CLUSA currently work in 15 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
CLUSA International has been in Kenya for over 10 years having started their first project in 2001. It was registered in Kenya as a Non-Governmental Organization in 2001.Endowed with a vast and successful history in community work, CLUSA Kenya has advanced from a humble beginning of implementing the AMKENI project, to the current implementation of four USAID funded projects namely: CDP, APHIAplus, Yes Youth Can! Coast (www.yyccoast.org) and Yes Youth Can! Nairobi.
CLUSA is applying the same successful principles validated during the AMKENI and APHIA II projects to mobilize and strengthen communities in response to health issues, livelihoods, food security as well as governance and democracy among the youth. Having worked with communities in the Rift Valley, Eastern, Western and Coast provinces CLUSA Kenya is employing the best practises learnt especially in the bottom up approach of empowering communities to participate in sustainable socio-economic development.
Through a series of continuous capacity building of community volunteers, CLUSA Kenya has transformed individuals into leaders amongst their respective communities, leading to recognition of such animators across various sectors in their regions.
Our Strategic goals
- Build a strong, well established and stable institution of CLUSA-Kenya.
- Improve and diversify livelihood opportunities for communities in Kenya.
- Strengthen governance and democratic processes, systems and structures especially at grassroots level in Kenya.
- Conserve and protect the environment and natural resources for sustainable utilization.
- Improve the health and reduce the prevalence of HIV/AIDS pandemic among communities in Kenya.
- Respect the dignity of all people;
- Increase individual self-confidence and initiative;
- Open and voluntary membership, economic participation, continuing education, and concern for community;
- Encourage transparency, accountability of leadership and member responsibility;
- Respect the integrity on environment;
- Foster local decision-making, responsibility and the mobilizing of internal resources.